- 09 Apr 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
Getting Started with the Helcim Point-of-Sale
- Updated on 09 Apr 2023
- 3 Minutes to read
The Helcim Point-of-Sale lets you accept in-person payments using any of your existing devices, from smartphones, tablets, and even Mac and Windows computers.
The point-of-sale is available on the Helcim app and works with the Helcim Card Reader to accept in-person payments by making it easy for businesses to quickly enter a purchase amount or select products for a sale.
Watch the video below for an overview of how to get started with the point-of-sale:
In this section:
The point-of-sale is accessible in the Helcim app through the Credit Card Icon at the bottom of your screen.
Selecting your POS view:
With two different modes, you can customize the POS experience for your business needs, whether you have a comprehensive product catalog and want to use the grid mode, or you simply need to enter payment amounts in manual mode.
On the POS Page, you can either enter a payment amount directly into the app to accept a payment, or switch to the grid view with products to select items included in the sale. Switch between the two views by clicking on the icons in the top left-hand corner of the screen.
When using the POS in Manual Mode you will simply enter the purchase amount into the keypad then select Process Payment to continue the transaction.
Grid Mode allows you to use the POS with your products or services that are saved in your Helcim account. You’ll add items to the cart to calculate the total before processing a transaction.
On the Point-of-Sale page you will see a list of all your product categories on the left-hand side of the screen, you can click through the product categories to bring up specific products. Once you find the product you're looking for, click on the + sign to select that item and add it to the cart.
You can use the Categories drop-down menu to change how the products are sorted. You can display the options by Categories, Collections, or Brands.
Processing a payment in the POS
You will need to either enter a payment amount or add products to your card before you’ll be able to select Process Payment in the POS. This will open the payment summary in the app so you can review the amount, if you want to accept tips, and the tax amount before you proceed to process the payment.
If your POS is synced with the Helcim Card Reader you can now pass the card reader to your customer to complete the transaction. If you don’t have the card reader with you, or if your customer is paying by an alternate method, use the Payment Method drop down to select the correct payment type.
You can record payments in the POS using the following methods:
- Card Manual Entry - Where you enter the customers card details
- Credit/Debit - Where the customer pays in-person using their credit or debit card
- Cash - When accepting cash
- Check - If the customer submits a check for payment
- Misc. - If recording another payment method, you’ll be given the option to enter a note about the payment
- Ext. Credit or Ext. Debit - If the customer paid by credit or debit through another payment system
Additional POS options
Use the three dots on the right-hand side of your menu bar to view the additional POS options. After selecting this option you can complete the following actions:
- Link Customer - Search for an existing customer to link to the transaction
- Link Invoice - Search for an existing invoice to link to the transaction
- Save Order - Save the order in your Order Manager so the customer can pay later
- Add Transaction Note - Add a comment to this order
- Open Cash Drawer - If you have a cash drawer connected to your account use this to open the drawer without having to complete a transaction
- Clear Cart - Quickly remove all the items from your cart